The Sugarloaf CID is partnering with the Gwinnett Police Department to help reduce the number of vehicle break-ins in our commercial district by urging drivers to “take your valuables and lock your vehicle” when leaving a parked vehicle. Below are some tips to help you avoid being the victim of a car break-in.
Vehicle Break-in PreventionTips:
- Always lock your vehicle and close your windows completely.
- Park in areas that are highly visible with good lighting.
- Check your door handles before walking away to assure the doors are locked.
- Do not leave any valuable items inside your vehicle; purses, backpacks, laptops, cell phones, tablets, GPS units, and firearms should be secured with you each time you leave your vehicle.
- If you do need to secure items in your vehicle temporarily, always place them out of sight and do so before you reach your final destination. Criminals watch when you place a purse or laptop in your trunk.
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle overnight.
- Nothing should be visible when looking in your car. Charging cords, sunglasses, garage door openers, and loose change should be out of sight.
- Report any suspicious vehicles or individuals to the Police Department.
The CID is helping our commercial property owners to raise the visibility of the “take and lock” message. The CID will provide property owners with signs reminding patrons to “take your valuables and lock your vehicle” in the district’s parking areas. Property owners interested in getting the “take and lock” signage for their property can contact the CID for details www.sugarloafcid.org.